Alongside mangos, watermelon has to be up there as one of our country’s favourite fruits. So why not make it the focus of the party?
This Watermelon Cake is easy, good-looking, and if you make it for daycare, educators love that you’re not pumping the kids full of processed sugars!
Watermelon Cake (VEG/GF/NF/EF)
Prep time: 15 mins
Makes: 16 slices
- 1 large seedless watermelon (7-9kg)
- 1-2 cups (250-500ml) whipping cream (depends on the size of your watermelon)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or powder (optional)
- Seasonal fresh fruit (for topping)
Tip: For a dairy-free version, try whipped coconut cream, or simply top with berries.
- Electric hand mixer
- Remove the top and bottom from the watermelon as well as the rind from the middle section. You should be left with a cake-shaped piece of watermelon.
- Pat the outside of the watermelon dry with paper towels. This is a very important step as it helps the whipped cream adhere to the watermelon.
- In a large bowl, whip the cream until firm and creamy. Add vanilla extract or powder, if using, and whip to combine.
- Frost the watermelon cake with the whipped cream and top with your favourite fruits and berries.
Serving and storing leftovers: Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to three days.
This recipe originally appeared on The Wholesome Child website and is republished here with permission.
How to stop the sugar overload this silly season
It’s the time of year when celebrations, parties and food abound.
This wholesome Chocolate Black Bean Brownies recipe is so addictive
Scrumptious and nutritious.
How to boost your kids' energy in between meals
Morning tea, recess, crunch and sip, afternoon snack ... whatever you call it, here's how to keep food in between meals healthy.
Over 100 easy ideas for healthy school lunch boxes
Never run out of inspiration again!
Recipe: Egg and dairy-free chocolate marble banana bread
Hooray! A vegan banana bread recipe that everyone can enjoy!
11 kids' beds that are the stuff of dreams
Some inspiration that'll really give your kids' bedroom the X-factor.
14 easy party ideas for kids who love trucks
What is it with little ones and trucks?!
A nutritionist's top five tips for fighting the endless fatigue
The food you eat can be your biggest ally!