What better way to help my niece and nephew celebrate turning 18 than with some sharing of knowledge? Better that than something I'd find online, where even if I tried I’d buy the wrong thing.
So I handwrote the following and sent it to them.
- Knowing how to be sociable is an incredibly important skill, but so is knowing how to spend time alone.
- Trust your instincts. This is the best decision making tool you’ll ever have and the more you listen to your inner voice, the more attuned it will become.
- You have to work to get good, but you have to work your a*** off to get great.
- Keeping fit and eating healthily pays dividends beyond the physical – you can expect emotional, social and psychological benefits.
- Sometimes, even if you know precisely what to say, it’s more judicious to hold your tongue.
- Do what makes you come alive.
- Earning lots of money is great, but working on something you really believe it in is better. Combine the two? Bingo!
- Parents love their kids in a way that is deeper and broader than any other kind of love. Try to remember this the next time your mum or dad gets on your nerves.
- Experiencing pain, rather than avoiding it, means it’ll pass sooner.
- Travelling can change your life and even if it doesn’t, it will open your eyes. University is the same.
- Fix yourself first.
- If someone has an extreme reaction to something you say or do, it is far more likely to be reflective of something going on within them, than what you said/did.
- If you give people the benefit of the doubt, you will always be a likeable person. Conversely, if you are quick to judge, you will quickly put people offside.
- It is more important to learn how to agree to disagree than it is to win every argument.
- To be an effective communicator, spell out how you feel instead of making others guess. It is very hard to interpret another’s reason for being in a mood.
- Time speeds up as you get older.
- Don’t be afraid to challenge convention or authority.
- If you want to be happy, be grateful.
This birthday space cake is out of this world
#cakegoals at their finest.
Why should cuddling my babies to sleep at night be a 'bad' thing?
I cuddle my little loves to sleep every night. But is that so bad?
Instagram vs reality: Carrie Bickmore gets very, very real about motherhood
Carrie Bickmore’s “Instagram vs reality” update is a reminder to us all.
11 excellent life lessons we can all learn from Peppa Pig
It's good, clean, simple fun! *Snort*
The simple joy of living near Grandma's house
As it turns out, all the help our grandparents gave us also helped them.
18 bangin' baby names for music lovers
18 musical monikers to get your toes tapping and fingers snapping!
Brilliant picture books to help kids transition to big school
Five fab books to help little kids transition to big school.
"Is that what she thinks she has to do?" Every mum's constant quest for balance
“I’m still struggling with what it is I want my daughters to understand about being a woman and mother when they grow up," says Amy Taylor-Kabbaz.