I love it when a dish looks super impressive, yet may be one of the easiest meals to create. Make this heart-warming cheesy dish on a chilly night to comfort a hungry tummy and a tired mind.
Hate broccoli? Grab a bag of spinach instead and throw it into the sauce to make sure you get your daily greens.
Broccoli & Cheddar Pot Pie
Time: 40 minutes
Served four people.
- 1 broccoli head, florets torn off
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) milk of choice
- 2 cups (240g) grated cheddar
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 generous pinch sea salt
- 1 generous pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Steam broccoli florets until just tender.
- Heat the olive oil in an ovenproof frying pan over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic, stirring often, for two to three minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the flour and mustard and cook, stirring constantly, for one minute. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until the sauce boils and thickens. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for three minutes. Stir in the cheese until melted and season with parsley, salt and pepper.
- Add the broccoli and stir to combine.
- Place the puff pastry over the pan and trim the pastry around the edges, leaving a 1-cm overhang. Pierce the centre of the pastry lid to let steam escape.
- Brush with egg yolk and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and puffed.
- Cool slightly.
This recipe was republished with permission from Food Hacker by Rosie Mansfield, published by Penguin Random House on 2 July, RRP $29.99.
Recipe: White chocolate and Oreo fudge
Make it tonight, eat it all day long tomorrow.
This Green Pea Fritters recipe is a healthy hit with kids
An essential for little lunchboxes.
Recipe: Pumpkin and Oat Muffins
Use up your leftover pumpkin and trick the kids into eating it, too.
6 amazing vegetarian snacks from One Handed Cooks
Perfect for those fussy eaters!
5-ingredient meals for busy parents
A few great ideas for when you need a quick and easy meal!
Recipe: Pizza Pinwheels
Super duper quick and tasty.
A two-ingredient Watermelon Cake recipe that daycare will love
Alongside mangos, watermelon has to be up there as one of our country’s favourite fruits.
This wholesome Chocolate Black Bean Brownies recipe is so addictive
Scrumptious and nutritious.