I love it when a dish looks super impressive, yet may be one of the easiest meals to create. Make this heart-warming cheesy dish on a chilly night to comfort a hungry tummy and a tired mind.
Hate broccoli? Grab a bag of spinach instead and throw it into the sauce to make sure you get your daily greens.
Broccoli & Cheddar Pot Pie
Time: 40 minutes
Served four people.
- 1 broccoli head, florets torn off
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) milk of choice
- 2 cups (240g) grated cheddar
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 generous pinch sea salt
- 1 generous pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Steam broccoli florets until just tender.
- Heat the olive oil in an ovenproof frying pan over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic, stirring often, for two to three minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the flour and mustard and cook, stirring constantly, for one minute. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until the sauce boils and thickens. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for three minutes. Stir in the cheese until melted and season with parsley, salt and pepper.
- Add the broccoli and stir to combine.
- Place the puff pastry over the pan and trim the pastry around the edges, leaving a 1-cm overhang. Pierce the centre of the pastry lid to let steam escape.
- Brush with egg yolk and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and puffed.
- Cool slightly.
This recipe was republished with permission from Food Hacker by Rosie Mansfield, published by Penguin Random House on 2 July, RRP $29.99.
Recipe: White chocolate and Oreo fudge
Make it tonight, eat it all day long tomorrow.
This Green Pea Fritters recipe is a healthy hit with kids
An essential for little lunchboxes.
Recipe: Pumpkin and Oat Muffins
Use up your leftover pumpkin and trick the kids into eating it, too.
6 amazing vegetarian snacks from One Handed Cooks
Perfect for those fussy eaters!
5-ingredient meals for busy parents
A few great ideas for when you need a quick and easy meal!
Recipe: Pizza Pinwheels
Super duper quick and tasty.
8 steps to declutter your pantry without setting your house on fire in frustration
If you haven't eaten those mince pies from three Christmases ago, this is for you.
These fancy-lookin’ Strawberry and Cream Cakes are so easy to make
Especially since strawbs have been getting a bad rap of late.