Sure, we’d all love to eat takeaway chicken nuggets every day. But in no way is that feasible! These cauliflower and cheese nuggets are a healthier (and vego!) alternative that are a hit with kids.
There is no denying that they DO taste different to regular chicken nuggets, however thankfully my kids are still naive enough to believe me when I tell them they are ‘special chicken nuggets’, which is kind of true anyway I guess!
We’ve made these a few times now and I’ve even been brave enough to add 100g of corn kernels to the mixture to sneak some extra veggies into the kids. I was caught out! However they still ate them, albeit covered in homemade tomato sauce.
These are really simple to make either using a food processor or a Thermomix and this is also a great recipe to make with the kids, although be warned - their nuggets may look a lot different to yours! This recipe does make quite a few nuggets and you can freeze any leftovers for another day.
Cauliflower and cheese nuggets
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 cauliflower - approximately 600g
- 1 egg - lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion flakes
- 3/4 cup of tasty cheese
- 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese - finely grated
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- olive oil spray - optional
- Preheat your oven to 190 degrees and line two trays with baking paper.
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets and blitz in a food processor until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a large mixing bowl and add the breadcrumbs, egg, onion flakes, cheeses and a little salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Use a dessert spoon to scoop up the mixture and shape it with your hands to form a 'nugget' shape. Place the nuggets onto your prepared baking tray and repeat until all the mixture has been used.
- Give your nuggets a light spray with olive oil (optional) before placing them into your oven to bake for 10 minutes. Carefully turn them over and cook for a further 5 minutes or until golden.
- Serve immediately.
Republished with permission from Create Bake Make.
Recipe: Spinach and three cheese rolls
You won't be able to stop at eating just one!
6 amazing vegetarian snacks from One Handed Cooks
Perfect for those fussy eaters!
Recipe: The Ultimate Mars Bar and Maltesers Slice
A simple twist on a classic.
Hey presto! 4 one-pot wonder recipes
Which also means only one pot to wash up.