This year, the warm weather has been hanging around WAY longer than usual across the country, which means it’s totally fine to eat ice cream this Anzac Day! Here’s an easy recipe to whip up last minute (you’ll just need four hours of freezing time).
For this recipe, make sure you bake the Anzac biscuits first. We love this recipe by Create Bake Make (but make your fave if you have found your perfect bikkies.)
Makes 24 biscuits
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 18 minutes
- 1 Cup Plain Flour
- 1 Cup Caster Sugar
- 1 Cup Coconut
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats
- 125g Butter
- 1 tablespoon Golden Syrup
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees and line two baking trays with paper.
- Mix together the plain flour, caster sugar, coconut and rolled oats in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter and add the golden syrup and bicarbonate of soda (dissolved in the boiling water).
- Make a well in the centre of the bowl, add the liquid and stir through.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop up mixture and roll into balls. Place on the tray and flatten slightly.
- Bake for approximately 18 minutes, or until the biscuits have turned a dark golden colour. If you prefer a crispy biscuit, cook for 20 minutes (I like my biscuits to still be a little chewy in the middle). We like ours a little softer than usual, as it’s not a rude shock when you bite into the ice cream!
Once the Anzac bikkies are out of the oven, it’s onto the icecream.
Homemade Anzac ice cream
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 600ml carton cream
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 24 Anzac biscuits
- Whip the cream until it’s nice and thick.
- Stir in the condensed milk, golden syrup and vanilla essence.
- Crumble or chop up to eight to 12 Anzac biscuits (depending on whether you want your ice cream super chunky, or just a little bit!), and fold them into the ice cream.
- Pop into a loaf tin and freeze until hard (around four hours).
Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving, until slightly soft. Scoop into bowls or create delicious Anzac ice cream sandwiches with a biscuit on either side!
Recipe: Zucchini and cheese fritters
Lots of veggies, freezer-friendly and a kid fave!
How to explain ANZAC Day to children
A few ways to introduce this important commemoration.
Recipe: Nut Free Muesli Bars
Kids love 'em and they're delectable for grownup sweet cravings too.
Want a nature lover? 7 tips from dirtgirl on encouraging garden play
Let's get grubby!
How to boost your kids' energy in between meals
Morning tea, recess, crunch and sip, afternoon snack ... whatever you call it, here's how to keep food in between meals healthy.
Try these ghoulish Quinoa & Beef Stuffed Capsicums for dinner this Halloween!
Some savoury food to add into the day!
Make this delicious allergy-friendly recipe for Halloween: Marble Cake with Banana Ghosts
Simple swaps to make it vegan, nut-free and gluten-free!
Want a healthier sweet treat for Halloween? Try this Spooky Spelt Biscuits recipe
No tricks here - cookies that won't give kids a sugar high.