This year, the warm weather has been hanging around WAY longer than usual across the country, which means it’s totally fine to eat ice cream this Anzac Day! Here’s an easy recipe to whip up last minute (you’ll just need four hours of freezing time).
For this recipe, make sure you bake the Anzac biscuits first. We love this recipe by Create Bake Make (but make your fave if you have found your perfect bikkies.)
Makes 24 biscuits
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 18 minutes
- 1 Cup Plain Flour
- 1 Cup Caster Sugar
- 1 Cup Coconut
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats
- 125g Butter
- 1 tablespoon Golden Syrup
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees and line two baking trays with paper.
- Mix together the plain flour, caster sugar, coconut and rolled oats in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter and add the golden syrup and bicarbonate of soda (dissolved in the boiling water).
- Make a well in the centre of the bowl, add the liquid and stir through.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop up mixture and roll into balls. Place on the tray and flatten slightly.
- Bake for approximately 18 minutes, or until the biscuits have turned a dark golden colour. If you prefer a crispy biscuit, cook for 20 minutes (I like my biscuits to still be a little chewy in the middle). We like ours a little softer than usual, as it’s not a rude shock when you bite into the ice cream!
Once the Anzac bikkies are out of the oven, it’s onto the icecream.
Homemade Anzac ice cream
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 600ml carton cream
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 24 Anzac biscuits
- Whip the cream until it’s nice and thick.
- Stir in the condensed milk, golden syrup and vanilla essence.
- Crumble or chop up to eight to 12 Anzac biscuits (depending on whether you want your ice cream super chunky, or just a little bit!), and fold them into the ice cream.
- Pop into a loaf tin and freeze until hard (around four hours).
Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving, until slightly soft. Scoop into bowls or create delicious Anzac ice cream sandwiches with a biscuit on either side!
Recipe: Zucchini and cheese fritters
Lots of veggies, freezer-friendly and a kid fave!
How to explain ANZAC Day to children
A few ways to introduce this important commemoration.
Recipe: Nut Free Muesli Bars
Kids love 'em and they're delectable for grownup sweet cravings too.
7 baking fails that prove you should NEVER attempt a Peppa Pig cake
Getting the nose right is VERY IMPORTANT, people.
Every busy parent needs to know these genius supermarket birthday cake hacks!
Secret supermarket birthday cake hacks we all NEED to know.
7 nifty ways to “pretend-clean” your house
Out of sight, out of mind. Right??
Lunchbox newbie! Here's what you need to know about packing food for school
Tips for Australian parents on what to pack for fruit break, recess and lunch.
The Marie Kondo craze - don't forget the most important step
Aren't you forgetting something?