When strawberries are in season, they're in plentiful supply and super cheap! While this sweet treat looks quite impressive, they are easy to make and you can get the kids involved.
As well as making these easy Strawberry and Cream Cakes, you can also have fun decorating vanilla cupcakes (made using the same recipe) with strawberries and cream. It's a great chance to practice piping skills – you can never start too early!
Easy Strawberry and Cream Cakes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 125 g butter
- 2/3 cup of caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of self raising flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 300 ml of thickened cream
- 1 teaspoon of icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 250 g of fresh strawberries
- icing sugar to dust
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees and lightly grease your mini loaf tin.
- Place the butter, sugar, flour, vanilla extract, milk and eggs into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on a medium speed for 2 minutes until combined and then increase to a high speed and mix for a further 2 minutes until the mixture is pale and smooth.
- Place the mixture into 12 mini loaf tins and place in the oven to bake for 20 minutes or until the cakes begin to turn golden on top and are cooked through when tested with a skewer.
- Once cooked, carefully remove the trays from the oven and allow the cakes to cool for 5 minutes in the tin before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In the meantime, to make the whipped cream place the the thickened cream, vanilla essence and icing sugar into a small bowl and whip until soft peaks form.
- Slice the strawberries into thirds lengthways and set aside until needed.
- Once the cakes have cooled completely, slice lengthways and fill with cream and strawberries - enjoy immediately.
Republished with permission from Create Bake Make.
Recipe: Strawberry and Coconut Bread recipe
An easy-to-whip-up treat to go with your morning coffee.
Recipe: White Chocolate and Raspberry Pudding
The perfect way to finish any meal.
Recipe: Pumpkin and Oat Muffins
Use up your leftover pumpkin and trick the kids into eating it, too.
Fun spooky Halloween mini-pizzas in 10 minutes!
This 10-minute spooky pizza recipe is perfect for your little monsters on Halloween!
Recipe: Chocolate chip Anzac slice
Your favourite cookie got a delicious makeover!
These Bluey birthday cakes are all the inspiration you need!
These cakes are seriously impressive!
'90s canteen foods that were the bomb back in the day
... but you probably wouldn't let your kids order them now!
This rocking chair with attached bassinet is hands-down the most genius invention ever