A vegan, gluten free, dairy free and nut free brownie recipe that EVERYONE can get behind? This treat is scrumptious, nutritious, and packs a protein punch in kids' lunch boxes.
Rich Chocolate Black Bean Brownies (VEG/GF/NF/DF)
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25-30 mins
Makes: 16 mini brownies (approx)
- 1 ½ cups (270g) cooked black beans or 1x400g canned black beans, rinsed, drained
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbs coconut oil, plus a little more for coating the baking dish
- 1/3 cup (30g) cacao powder
- 2 tbs carob powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 3 tsp vanilla powder or extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup (75g) coconut sugar (to sweeten further, add an extra ¼ cup (35g) coconut sugar or a pinch of stevia
- High-speed food processor
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Grease a small square 20cm x 20cm baking dish with coconut oil.
- Place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and process at a high speed until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Place in oven and bake for 25-30 mins. Check after 25 mins by sliding a knife into the brownie. If it comes out clean, the brownies are ready. Allow to cool before cutting into little squares.
Serving and storing leftovers: Serve immediately, store in the fridge for up to four days or freeze for up to four months. Serve with coconut cream and fresh strawberries for a yummy dessert treat!
Mandy Sacher is a paediatric nutritionist and founder of Wholesome Child, a great resource for helping parents choose nutritious food for kids. She's also written Wholesome Child: A Complete Nutrition Guide and Cookbook, a handy alternative to processed, sugar-pumped sweets.
How to stop the sugar overload this silly season
It’s the time of year when celebrations, parties and food abound.
Snack attack! 9 healthy ideas for busy families
Ditch the chips and crackers, these are so much better!
How to boost your kids' energy in between meals
Morning tea, recess, crunch and sip, afternoon snack ... whatever you call it, here's how to keep food in between meals healthy.
Easy ways to monitor and look after your growing child’s health
How can you help your sick child and when should you seek medical help?
Fun spooky Halloween mini-pizzas in 10 minutes!
This 10-minute spooky pizza recipe is perfect for your little monsters on Halloween!
Recipe: Chocolate chip Anzac slice
Your favourite cookie got a delicious makeover!
These Bluey birthday cakes are all the inspiration you need!
These cakes are seriously impressive!
'90s canteen foods that were the bomb back in the day
... but you probably wouldn't let your kids order them now!