Not only do these brownies taste scrumptious, they’re also nutritious. They are a treat, but they’re also a protein-packed addition to lunch boxes.
Listen to Kinderling Conversation for more food tips:
Rich Chocolate Black Bean Brownies (VEG/GF/NF/DF)
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25-30 mins
Makes: 16 mini brownies (approx)
- 1 ½ cups (270g) cooked black beans or 1x400g canned black beans, rinsed, drained
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbs coconut oil, plus a little more for coating the baking dish
- 1/3 cup (30g) cacao powder
- 2 tbs carob powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 3 tsp vanilla powder or extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup (75g) coconut sugar (to sweeten further, add an extra ¼ cup (35g) coconut sugar or a pinch of stevia
- High-speed food processor
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Grease a small square 20cm x 20cm baking dish with coconut oil.
- Place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and process at a high speed until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Place in oven and bake for 25-30 mins. Check after 25 mins by sliding a knife into the brownie. If it comes out clean, the brownies are ready. Allow to cool before cutting into little squares.
Serving and storing leftovers: Serve immediately, store in the fridge for up to four days or freeze for up to four months. Serve with coconut cream and fresh strawberries for a yummy dessert treat!
Mandy Sacher is a paediatric nutritionist and founder of Wholesome Child, a great resource for helping parents choose nutritious food for kids. She's also written Wholesome Child: A Complete Nutrition Guide and Cookbook, a handy alternative to processed, sugar-pumped sweets.
How to stop the sugar overload this silly season
It’s the time of year when celebrations, parties and food abound.
Snack attack: 9 healthy ideas for a busy family
Ditch the chips and crackers, these are so much better!
How to boost your kids' energy in between meals
Morning tea, recess, crunch and sip, afternoon snack ... whatever you call it, here's how to keep food in between meals healthy.
Easy ways to monitor and look after your growing child’s health
How can you help your sick child and when should you seek medical help?
Over 100 easy ideas for healthy school lunch boxes
Never run out of inspiration again!
Recipe: Egg and dairy-free chocolate marble banana bread
Hooray! A vegan banana bread recipe that everyone can enjoy!
11 kids' beds that are the stuff of dreams
Some inspiration that'll really give your kids' bedroom the X-factor.
14 easy party ideas for kids who love trucks
What is it with little ones and trucks?!