Fill the kids up with a savoury meal before trick or treating! You can pre-prepare the stuffing, and get the kids to help you scoop it into the funny-looking faces.
Listen to Kinderling Conversation for more food tips:
Quinoa & Beef Stuffed Capsicums
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- 4 medium-sized red capsicums
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 small zucchini, finely cubed or grated
- 1 cup (250ml) tomato passata
- 1 cup baby spinach, finely chopped
- 2 tbs fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tbs goat’s cheese or feta, crumbled
Tip: Swap quinoa for 1 cup of brown rice and zucchini for mushrooms, carrots or vegetable of choice.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Slice each capsicum in half vertically and remove the pulp and seeds from inside. Place in a baking dish or on a baking tray and bake in oven for 15 mins, take out and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 mins or until soft.
- Add beef, breaking up meat into pieces and cook until browned, approximately 3-4 mins.
- Add zucchini, tomato passata, spinach and parsley and simmer on medium heat for 3-4 mins.
- Add quinoa and season with salt and pepper.
- Stuff capsicums with as much filling as will fit. Return to oven and continue roasting until very soft, about 20 mins.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and serve with fresh herbs on top.
Serving and storing leftovers: Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to three days or freeze for up to four months.
Mandy Sacher is a paediatric nutritionist and founder of Wholesome Child, a great resource for helping parents choose nutritious food for kids. She's also written Wholesome Child: A Complete Nutrition Guide and Cookbook, a fab alternative to processed, sugar-pumped sweets.
Make this delicious allergy-friendly recipe for Halloween: Marble Cake with Banana Ghosts
Simple swaps to make it vegan, nut-free and gluten-free!
Want a healthier sweet treat for Halloween? Try this Spooky Spelt Biscuits recipe
No tricks here - cookies that won't give kids a sugar high.
10 Halloween costumes for your little trick-or-treater
For both the organised and last-minute parents among us.
Halloween: why it’s the one American tradition I’m happy to embrace
Every year I take one step away from the Halloween hater I used to be, and one step closer to Modern Family's Claire Dunphy.
Recipe: Chocolate chip Anzac slice
Your favourite cookie got a delicious makeover!
These Bluey birthday cakes are all the inspiration you need!
These cakes are seriously impressive!
'90s canteen foods that were the bomb back in the day
... but you probably wouldn't let your kids order them now!
This rocking chair with attached bassinet is hands-down the most genius invention ever