Fill the kids up with a savoury meal before trick or treating! You can pre-prepare the stuffing, and get the kids to help you scoop it into the funny-looking faces.
Listen to Kinderling Conversation for more food tips:
Quinoa & Beef Stuffed Capsicums
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- 4 medium-sized red capsicums
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 small zucchini, finely cubed or grated
- 1 cup (250ml) tomato passata
- 1 cup baby spinach, finely chopped
- 2 tbs fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tbs goat’s cheese or feta, crumbled
Tip: Swap quinoa for 1 cup of brown rice and zucchini for mushrooms, carrots or vegetable of choice.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Slice each capsicum in half vertically and remove the pulp and seeds from inside. Place in a baking dish or on a baking tray and bake in oven for 15 mins, take out and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 mins or until soft.
- Add beef, breaking up meat into pieces and cook until browned, approximately 3-4 mins.
- Add zucchini, tomato passata, spinach and parsley and simmer on medium heat for 3-4 mins.
- Add quinoa and season with salt and pepper.
- Stuff capsicums with as much filling as will fit. Return to oven and continue roasting until very soft, about 20 mins.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and serve with fresh herbs on top.
Serving and storing leftovers: Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to three days or freeze for up to four months.
Mandy Sacher is a paediatric nutritionist and founder of Wholesome Child, a great resource for helping parents choose nutritious food for kids. She's also written Wholesome Child: A Complete Nutrition Guide and Cookbook, a fab alternative to processed, sugar-pumped sweets.
Make this delicious allergy-friendly recipe for Halloween: Marble Cake with Banana Ghosts
Simple swaps to make it vegan, nut-free and gluten-free!
Want a healthier sweet treat for Halloween? Try this Spooky Spelt Biscuits recipe
No tricks here - cookies that won't give kids a sugar high.
10 Halloween costumes for your little trick-or-treater
For both the organised and last-minute parents among us.
Halloween: why it’s the one American tradition I’m happy to embrace
Every year I take one step away from the Halloween hater I used to be, and one step closer to Modern Family's Claire Dunphy.
The 10-minute Tzatziki Dip recipe you need for summer
A homemade dip – who has time for that?! You do.
Make Banana Cinnamon Scrolls with the kids these school holidays
They'll love kneading out the dough - and eating them, too.
This go-to Salt and Pepper Squid recipe is easy as pie (promise!)
Make the dish that's part of our national repertoire!
A two-ingredient Watermelon Cake recipe that daycare will love
Alongside mangos, watermelon has to be up there as one of our country’s favourite fruits.