If you’re having a rough time of this parenting stuff lately and wondering why the hell you signed up, try this:
Take a deep breath and ask yourself what you’re doing right now that makes you feel like you’re doing a good job?
But don’t over-complicate it.
As much as we like to over-complicate the terms and conditions of raising our kids, when it comes right down to it, it's the tiny, everyday wins that make our our tired and fraught parent-hearts sing.
Listen to Kinderling Conversation:
The personal expressions of life’s simplest kinds of love and joy
For me, it’s the tender moments between my two boys (ages nearly 5 and nearly 2) that are only just starting to emerge.
When one falls over, and the other one runs up and they share a hug (pity it doesn’t seem to prevent the squabbles!). And the times they remember to say ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ when we’re out of the house.
We asked our lovely Kinderling Facebook fans to tell us what makes them feel like a good parent - here’s what some of them shared:
- "When I can get my 2.5 year old to go to sleep without crying out for me. 🤣"
- "When I remember to relax and we all enjoy some carefree family time with lots of giggles."
- "When my son at times randomly tell me, he loves me and kisses me."
- "When I can sit and watch my boys all playing nicely..."
- "When other people comment on her politeness and manners. 😊"
- "When my 2.5 year old says 'I love you mummy'."
- "When my little girl tells me she loves me and how happy she is. 😍"
- "When my kids show kindness to themselves and others."
- "When my son is kind to others. I feel it's the most important thing we can instill in our children."
- "When my son says please and thank you without being asked to."
- "When my children are happy."
I'm sure if you give yourself a moment to think about it, you'll be able to find the small, everyday ways you're doing GREAT at this parenting thing, too.
7 easy hacks for eating better as a family
Rituals allow you to get excited about the smaller things in life.
Mum loses it over her messy house but discovers a brilliant new cleaning hack!
Another great cleaning hack, brought to you by rage cleaning!
Middle child traits we bet you can spot in your second born
Middle child truths that all parents of three or more kiddos will know to be true.
Save those precious drops! 7 ways to raise little water warriors
Seven easy ways to teach our kids to conserve water.
Chinese New Year: Welcome to the Year of the Rat!
What to expect from babies born in the Year of the Rat.
Ewww! 6 weird (and kinda gross) ways kids show us their love
Kids show their love in the weirdest of ways!
Is your child "tired and wired"? This might be why
The little-known way getting up after bedtime can sabotage your kids’ sleep.
Children of the Millennials - here's what we know about Generation 'Alpha'
Children born between 2010 and 2025 will be known as Generation Alpha.